Monday, January 31, 2011

Bantva--Birth place Revisited by Abdur Razzak Thaplawala

I had migrated from Bantva in the 3rd week of November, 1947 after the houses of Muslims were attacked by Hindu farmers on 15th November, 1947. The houses were attacked in spite of the fact that there was night curfew and Sikh soldiers were on duty at each Street and Mohalla. At that time, I was 11 years old but I still remember the sounds of save us or (Bachao, Bachao) from the women folks whose houses were being attacked.On 16th November, 1947, when the curfew was relaxed for a few hours, all the residence of Bantva gathered at the Bazar outside the main gate (Zapa) of Bantva. cas well. Although, there was no bloodshed in Bantva but the houses were attacked in the presence of Sikh solders. The residence of Bantva were fearful and decided to leave for Pakistan as soon as possible. As a result of this decision, the 25,000 Muslim population majority of whom were Memons decided to migrate to Pakistan. Within 3 days, the residents of Bantva started leaving for Bombay or Okha from where they migrated to Pakistan by steamships.


After migration in the 3rd week of November, 1947, I did not have the opportunity of visiting Bantva and its surrounding cities until 21st March, 2005.................
Visit To Bantva 2005

From Manavadar, we proceeded to Bantva - my birth place. To begin with I went to the office of Bantva Municipality which is known as Bantva Municipal Bureau. The offices of Municipality are located on the first floor of building which we know as Mohammadan Library of our old days. I met the officers of the Municipality and told them that I had come to see my birth place. They were very kind and sent one of their man with me to take me around the Bantva. To begin with we went to what was known as main gate or Zapa of Bantva. The Zapa was no longer there. We went in the bazaar inside the Zapa till the Jamia Masjid. It’s a very beautiful Masjid and the inside and outside condition was still very good inspite of passage of time. My house was behind the Jamia Masjid in Jangra falia. The way to Jangra falia started with residence, offices and motor garages of Adam Haji Peermuhammad (Adam Limited). Unfortunately, all the buildings in this area including Adam Limited’s offices, residential houses and the motor garages had decayed with the passage of time or has been demolished and only a locked compound existed. I proceeded further to see the house where I leaved but could find none because all the houses in Jangra Falia, Agasi Falia & the passage to Rankot were demolished and nothing could be recognized.

After visiting the Masjid, we went outside the so-called Zapa. There were shops and bazaar outside Zapa and I could see that all kinds of shopkeepers were doing roaring business. Here I met Mr. Nikom Advocate an old friend of brother Siddique Polani. I gave him the copy of History of Banva which was given to me by Siddique Bha. Mr. Nikom Advocate was very happy to see us. He accompanied us to the tour of Bantva. There was a Masjid known as Barwali Masjid outside the Zapa. It was locked and was in very bad condition. I also went to see the Mazaar of Bukhari Sharif. The Mazar is now situated in a beautiful garden and it is in good condition. Going back towards Mohammadan library, we saw Mosque built by Hussain Kasim Dada. It was in a very bad shap. Then we started for Madrassa-e-Islamia and Yateem Khana. The Yateem Khana has been converted into a Girls School and Madrassa now contains a Boys School. The foundation stone of Yateem Khana Islamia Bantva read as follows:

“The opening ceremony of this building was performed by Bantva Sardar Gadh Darbar Saheb Zabardast Khanjee on Tuesday 21st Jamadiul Aakhir 1356 Hijri and 8th August, 1939.”

The Girls School and Boys School are being run by a Trust. The Trust is renovating some buildings and also constructing new blocks.

The foundation stone of Madrassa-e-Islamia read as follows:

“Madrassa-e-Islamia was opened by Left. Col. J.A. Oilfield Political Agent of Sorath Parant (Province) on 21stDecember, 1930.”

Both the schools are know known as Sunshine schools. On the way to Madrassa-e-Islamia, I noticed the buildings of Bantva, Gymkhana & Muslim Trust. I was told that Memons from Dhoraji were taking care of some Mosques & Dargahs in Bantva and no Memon from Bantva was giving help.

BANTVA RAILWAY STATION

After visiting the Yateem Khana and Madrassa-e-Islamia, I proceeded towards the old Railway Station. The outside building of Railway Station looked good as I remembered it in my childhood. Inside the building, I also saw the Ticket Distribution window which still has the instructions for passengers in Gujrati. On the other side of the building, however, there were no signs of a Railway Station. After seeing the Railway Station, I proceeded to see the hospital built by Haji Habib Culcuttawala. The hospital building was old but not in very bad condition. Now it houses a library. Along side the hospital building, there was a mosque. I visited the mosque built by Haji Habib Culcuttawala. It was in a pathetic condition. All the Mehrabs and the mimber had decayed or demolished. A Muslim family was living inside it. They requested us to enter the mosque premises after taking off shoes. We did that but I was very much disturbed by seeing the condition of the Mosque. No mimber, no mehrabs but the lining for safbandi for Namaz could be seen.

The Kohinoor talkies, the only cinema house in Bantva was opposite the hospital. It was closed. I was told that it functioned for a few years as Jay Hind Cinema.

Then I proceeded to Bantva Memon Jamat Khana. A portion of Jamat Khana was functioning as Sindhi students school. I could see the class rooms & desks where I studied upto 2nd class before joining Madrassa-e-Islamia. The Class Rooms of the school were apparently in good condition and I could see school desks in most of the rooms.
Then I started for going out of Banva and saw Ahmed Dawoods Gening Factory which is now running as Oil Mills on Pajot Road. Our friend took us to the house of the Late Danilal Kalilal who worked as Manager of Haji Habib Calcuttawala. He died on 10th April, 2001. His son Kanti Bhai invited us to his house and served tea to us. Mr. Kanti Laal is also a retired person and had good collection of books.

Bantva is said to have population of 18,000 people. There are only 150 Muslims and 3 or 4 Memon families in Bantva.

The Bantva, Thapla and Kodvav are part of the what is known as Manawadar Taluka District: Junagadh.






2 comments:

Unknown said...

bhai he ROGRA village kaha he mujy mil nai rha google me be

bantva jamat karachi said that rogra village bantva village ke brabr me he

Unknown said...

wait for reply

Post a Comment