Thursday, April 14, 2011

Beacon Of Light-Liaquat Soldier

Liaquat Soldier was a popular Pakistani stage and television comedy actor, writer and director. Born in 1952, Soldier started his acting career in 1973 .Initially he was not a very successful actor and even forgot lines on stage but then he showed his potential.He liked to call himself an entertainer rather than a comedian.He was also very pasionate about writing and had written and directed many plays.
“OYE OYE OYE” , “EID AIRPORT” and “EIDY DAY DO”.were some of the plays he wrote and directed.
Speaking about how he came to showbiz in an inerview to Kalpoint he said;"I started my career as an actor in the mid 1970s, I also had the passion for writing but unfortunately did not get the opportunity to do so. I was paid 50 PKR when I first took part in a drama named “TUM KIA JANO” which was directed by Safdar Ali Shah, in which I played the role of a tough guy. Up till 1974, I was an extra and had no major role in any play, even though I was in contact with super stars of that period like Razaq Rajo, Ibraheem Raj and Taj Niazi. I kept struggling so that I would be given the opportunity to act. Eventually I did get a chance in a drama, but unfortunately I failed to remember my lines on stage. I did not let that incidence de-motivate me and by the Grace of God I got yet another chance which helped me prove my abilities. From there on, there was no looking back. Initially I acted in Memoni and Gujratee Dramas. Urdu stage dramas later gained popularity because of Moeen Akhter, he is one Artist who really knows how to attract a crowd. "
Last show on Samaa Tv

Liaquat Soldier also appeared in couple of films  but they were not big hits.He featured in over 250 plays and co-starred with many famous theatre personalities, including the likes of Moin Akhtar, Furqan Haider, Umer Sharif, Hanif Raja and Shahzad Raza. He came from a modest, low-income family  in Karachi. Soldier’s unusual last name was given to him by his friend Nazar Hussain, a stage artist. Channels for which Soldier worked included Geo TV, SAMAA TV, Dhoom TV, Metro, Hum TV and ARY Digital. Overseas, he worked in the United States, Dubai and South Africa.

On 30 March 2011, Liaquat Soldier died of a heart attack; before his immediate death, he was reportedly participating in a live TV show during a special transmission of the semi-final between India and Pakistan of the 2011 Cricket World Cup and had passed away by the time he was transported to the hospital.Liaquat Ali Soldier belonged to a Memon family and left behind one daughter and three sons.May his soul rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment